- A Caribbean island in the North Atlantic Ocean
- The weather in Barbados is tropical with rainy season from June to October. Hurricanes and landslides occur very frequently.
- The official currency is the Barbados dollar
- The country code for Barbados is 246 so dial 1 – 246 – area code – local number
Marriage to a Barbadian Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Barbadian citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
To learn more, contact the Barbadian Embassy.
If you want to bring your Bajan spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also demonstrate that they will comply with the terms of temporary entry into Canada, as if they had applied for a visitor visa.
Barbadian Marriage Basic Requirements
Getting married in Barbados is a fairly easy affair because there is no waiting period or minimum length of stay required.
After the couple has decided to tie the note an application for a marriage license is submitted by both persons at the office of the ministry of affairs in Barbados.
Documents required to apply are;
- Valid passport
- Original birth certificates for both
- Airline tickets to Barbados including return tickets to country of origin
- Divorce decree if divorced
- Death certificate if widowed
- Certificate of translation for documents in English
- For persons under 18 years parental consent in the form of a statutory declaration stamped and signed by a lawyer or legal officer
- If adopted certificate of adoption
If you need a visa to visit Barbados.
- Visa applications should be in duplicate
- 2 passport size photos
- Single entry visa costs $50 and multiple $60
- The visa can be obtained at the Barbadian embassy in Canada
Barbadian Marriage Ceremony
The marriage ceremony to a Barbadian citizen can legally take place in Barbados, Canada, or any other country as long as both parties have the necessary visas to enter this country legally. This marriage can then be recognized when applying for a permanent residence or an eTA for your Barbados spouse. To learn more about ceremony customs, see below.
If your Bajan spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Barbadian Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Barbadian citizen.
How long is the Barbadian Marriage document valid?
The document is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. If you do not marry your Bajan fiancé within 6 months of the issuance of the Barbadian Marriage document, you must apply again with new supporting documents.
List of Barbados Consulates in Canada
Canadian High Commission in Barbados
Upper Collymore Rock Rd
Email: [email protected]
Want to know more about marrying in Barbados? Let us know!