There is a new temporary pathway for permanent residence for Caregivers already in Canada who qualify as in-home caregivers. It is called The Interim Pathway for Caregivers and opened up on March 4, 2019 and closes on June 4, 2019. This means that only applications received on or between those dates will be accepted. Any applications received before March 4, and especially after June 4, 2019 will not be accepted.


Who is eligible?

Hospice Care via

[Public Domain]

  • Have a valid work permit; OR, have applied to extend your work permit; OR have applied to restore your status as a worker in Canada.
  • Have work experience in Canada as either:
    • A Home Child Care provider (NOC Group 4411), OR
    • A Home Support Worker (NOC Group 4412).
  • Have at least 1 year of full-time work experience since November 30, 2014 which can be cumulative rather than continuous but cannot include work experience while a student.
  • Have been working in a job that matches your NOC code’s listed duties.
  • Have tested language skills equivalent to Canadian Languages Benchmark (CLB) 5 or NLCL (French language) 5 in all four areas of reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
  • Have a minimum Canadian High School Diploma or a foreign diploma, certificate, or credential that’s equivalent.


Language Tests

You need to have taken an approved language test within the 2 years previous to your applying for The Interim Pathway for Caregivers. Please note that Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) test centres are NOT eligible places to take an approved test. The approved tests are:

Approved Test Speaking Listening Reading Writing
CELPIP 5 5 5 5
IELTS 5.0 5.0 4.0 5.0
TEF (French) 226-270 181-216 151-180 226-270
TCF 6 369-397 375-405 6

If you cannot book a test before the closing date of June 4, 2019 then you should book a test as soon as possible and then you must provide proof you have booked a test with an approved agency. This may include a written confirmation from the testing agency as well as a receipt for payment of the test.

Please remember that you must send your original test results with your application by using the appropriate webform. You cannot ask the testing agency to send the results. You must send the original copy of the results yourself. If you cannot access the webform, then mail your results to:

Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada
c/o PR (CG), Station 805
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3


Educational Credential Assessment

If you do NOT have a Canadian High School Diploma, then you must obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from one of the following designated organizations:

  • Comparative Education Service
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
  • World Education Services
  • International Qualifications Assessment Services
  • International Credential Evaluation Service.

You will need to do the following when applying for your ECA:

  1. Gather all documents your designated organization requests
  2. Ask your school for multiple copies of your diploma, degree, transcript, records etc.
  3. Follow all instructions from your designated organization on how to submit your documents
  4. Pay your fees to the designated organization. IRCC will not cover the cost of those fees. They are your responsibility.

You will need to do the following when submitting your ECA along with your application:

  • Submit an original copy of the ECA report.
  • Include copies of your diploma, degree, transcript etc.
  • Ensure that your ECA report:
    • Was issued after the date the that the designated organization was officially approved by Canadian immigration authorities
    • Was created less than 5 years previous to the date of your application
    • Shows your foreign credential is equal to or higher than a Canadian High School Diploma.

If you cannot obtain an ECA before the closing date of June 4, 2019 send proof of having submitted a request for an ECA with your application to IRCC.

Do NOT ask that the ECA report be sent directly to IRCC by the designated organization. Instead, send an original copy with your application.


How to Apply for Permanent Residence as a Caregiver

Go here to view instructions on how to apply. You must then go here to get your application package online and begin to fill it out as follows:

  • Download and fill out online the Generic Application for Permanent Residence IMM 0008 You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 to download and fill out the form. If you have trouble downloading it, right-click on the link and choose “Save Target as …”
  • Fill out the application form, and validate each page by clicking on the Validate button at the top or bottom of each page.
  • Then print it, sign it, and date the application form.
  • A final page with barcodes will be created when you print your completed application form. Place this barcode page on the top of your package. If you have more than one application package, place the appropriate printed barcode page on the top of each individual package.
  • Remember to use the Document Checklist Form in the link on instructions listed before these bullet points to make sure you have all the required documents completed and ready to send in with your application.

Go here to see what your fees are and how to pay them. Your fees will generally include:

  • Processing fees for you and anyone else included on your application
  • Right of Permanent Residence Fee
  • Biometrics (if applicable).

Once your application is ready, you should mail it to:

Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada
c/o PR (CG), Station 805
9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3


After You Apply

After you’ve submitted your application, you may receive a request for Biometric information which will come in the form of a Biometric Instruction Letter (BIL) which also will list several biometrics collection points in your region or in Canada. Remember to bring your BIL with you when you present yourself at a biometrics collection point.

Go here to check the status of your application online. If your application is approved, you will be notified and will receive instructions to send your valid passport to the processing centre to have the following visas added:

  • Your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and
  • Your entry visa if you are applying from outside Canada from a country that requires an entry visa to travel to Canada.


Ask Questions

Do you have questions? Please fill in the form.

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. is independently run and does not seek editorial input from IMMIgroup Inc. The views of the authors of content on do not reflect the views of the consultants employed by IMMIgroup Inc.

"All images on are CC licensed, public domain or the work of IMMIgroup employees. If you see your image on and it has not been CC licensed, please contact us immediately at [email protected] so we can take it down."