Bringing a Filipino Spouse/Partner to Canada



Canadians who have married internationally and have citizenship or are permanent residents can sponsor their partner to bring them into Canada. Eligible spouses/partners can be sponsored to be permanent residents so that they may live in Canada with their significant others.

Before you can legally sponsor your spouse so that they may become a permanent resident, you must obtain the legal documentation to prove your relationship. In some cases, such as with Filipino citizens, you must go through the proper channels to ensure your marriage is legal in both Canada and the Philippines.

Since travel into Canada can be tricky for some Filipinos, travelling abroad in order to marry is the better option. In the Philippines, marrying a foreigner requires an extensive amount of paperwork to prove your citizenship and legal capacity to marry. Proof of your single status or proof that your previous marriage ended via death or divorce will be required. This may require a Statuary Declaration to be notarized at the Canadian Embassy or consulate in the Philippines.

You will also need to provide documents such as your long form birth certificate, or another valid for of identification, as well as written consent from your parents if you are between the ages of 18 to 21. Between 21 – 22 requires a Letter of Advice from the parents acknowledging they’re aware of the engagement. 


More information about Sponsoring Your Filipino Spouse/Partner:


Sponsoring Your Filipino Spouse

After you go through all the necessary motions to obtain a marriage license to your Filipino fiancé, you should apply for sponsoring them to be a permanent resident in Canada around the same time. This will not allow them to come to Canada right away, however, and they will need a visa if they wish to visit you during the application process. 

In order to be eligible to be a sponsor, you must demonstrate that you intend to live in Canada with. In addition, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • You are currently living and working in Canada
  • You are single and legally available to marry your fiancée
  • You are not bankrupt, default in finances, or in jail
  • You can successfully financially support the personal you are sponsoring and any dependents they may have (such as children).
  • You have not been convicted of certain sexual or violent crimes.
  • You have not previously sponsored a spouse or partner within the last 3 years
  • You do not receive social assistance (aside from disability).

Sponsorship is ideal for aspiring permanent residents who may someday wish to become full Canadian citizens. Paperwork proving your marriage, and the passport, birth certificate, and similar identifying documents for your spouse will be required. Applicants will be required to undergo a medical and background screening. Those will criminal records will not be allowed to enter the country.

The sponsor will be in charge of the overall well-being of the person they are sponsoring, in this case, their spouse, and any possible dependants. You are accepting the responsibility of providing sponsorship undertaking, which is a legal pledge that must be signed by both your and your spouse. You agree to provide things like food, shelter, clothing, utilities, personal requirements, health care, and finances. In turn, your spouse or partner agrees to turn to you if they find themselves in need or something before turning to government assistance.

All You Need to Know About Sponsorship


Additional Resources: Take your time and read some of the research articles about your Sponsorship topic:


Must Read About Spousal Sponsorship


The Basics


Related Content to Sponsoring Your Filipino Partner for PR


Sponsorship Guides by Nationality

Category: is independently run and does not seek editorial input from IMMIgroup Inc. The views of the authors of content on do not reflect the views of the consultants employed by IMMIgroup Inc.

"All images on are CC licensed, public domain or the work of IMMIgroup employees. If you see your image on and it has not been CC licensed, please contact us immediately at [email protected] so we can take it down."