spousal sponsorship

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
what would it take to convince a border officer then?
We've gone over this: you need to provide all the documentation regarding your conviction and sentencing and you need to provide anything you can to show you have been rehabilitated. Depending on the type of crime (and the date), they may judge you "deemed rehabilitated" or they may make you apply for "criminal rehabilitation." Either way, you have to provide this stuff; at least that's my understanding.
And let me emphasize once again: this is only for entry, not for immigration.

richard

ok let me ask you this then, if someone falls under the skilled worker category is it necessary to have a letter of job offer or is it optional? to my understanding it increases points or something like that............ how can a skilled worker get this letter in the first place????

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
As discussed in your private message, the rules will change by then. But at the moment, the job offer gives you 600 points. The only other thing that can give you 600 points is a Provincial Nomination. Everything else gives you less points. You can see the current point system here: http://www.immigroup.com/news/express-entrys-comprehensive-rating-system

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
The job offer is a huge deal for the system at the moment. But as that other person pointed out, by the time you're eligible, the system will be different.

richard

certain about things changing for 2023/24? as far as you can recall how were things different back in 1999/2000 for skilled worker category????

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Richard,
I wasn't in the industry in 1999 so I have no idea. But one thing you could do is see if the Way Back Machine has screen captures of the old immigration site from back then. That might answer your question.

Riley

richard

so if theres no way to know what will be in demand for 2023 or beyond, what type of applicants apply for the skilled worker category then? nurses, doctors, lawyers, teachers, ect.............????????????

richard

well let me ask you this then, how does someone get a letter of job offer in the first place then? how does an employer in canada award this letter to a foreign applicant then? also, i have to assume that skilled worker category is for jobs that arent being filled by canadians, am i right in saying this............?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
They do it exactly how you would imagine: someone applies for a job, that applicant is someone the employer wants to hire, the employer gives the applicant an official job offer.
But then there's an extra step: the employer has to get an LMIA (in most cases).

The skilled worker category is separate from work permits, as I have said before. Job offers are generally for work permits. They add points for skilled workers applying for permanent residents, but they are not mandatory. The skilled worker category is for people who have skills and work experience. Work permits are, in theory, for anyone with a job offer.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Job offers currently give you a ton of points for express entry (600), but they are not mandatory. Invitations to Apply are being issued for as little as 450 points, so you can see why you wouldn't need 600 points.
However, as the person on the other forum said, all this is moot, as this system will undoubtedly be gone by the time you're eligible to immigrate to Canada.

richard

but if i wanna major in chemical or petroleum engineering then how do i know that i have a good chance then by 2024 or beyond? rsvp