Canada US Border

Canada US Border [Public Domain]

When dealing with immigration and other government agencies, frequently it’s hard to understand their internal jargon. One common question is “What is the difference between a TRV and a TRP?” It’s very understandable how people could easily become confused by these two terms which government officials can use without much explanation.

By definition, a TRV is a Temporary Residence Visa, which includes Visitor Visas. This is a visa which is issued to people who are coming to Canada temporarily and not immigrating to Canada permanently. This visa is put into the holder’s passport when it is issued by an officer and shows that the holder has met the requirements to gain entry into Canada as a visitor, worker, or student.

On the other hand, TRP stands for Temporary Residence Permit. This document is a permit that can be granted to visitors to Canada who are otherwise inadmissible. A TRP will let people who under normal circumstances would not be let into Canada by immigration authorities come into the country for a limited amount of time for various purposes such as visiting or tourism (seeing family, weddings, funerals, excursions, etc.), business (meetings, conferences, speaking engagements, etc.), or even awaiting processing of a sponsorship application.

It is possible that someone could need only one of these documents or both a TRP and TRV to come to Canada. For example, if a person from the United States was convicted of DUI, he would need only a TRP to enter Canada. This is because as a US citizen, he does not need to apply for a visa to enter Canada as a visitor. However, because of his criminal conviction, he would be considered inadmissible to Canada and would need a TRP to get into the country.

Another example is if a person from China had been convicted of theft, he would need a TRV and TRP to enter Canada. In this situation, he would apply for the TRV (Visitor Visa) and include the necessary documents to apply for a TRP. If the Visitor Visa is granted, the visa will be issued by the Canadian Embassy and the TRP will be issued at the port of entry. This is because as a person from a country whose nationals are required to apply for a visa to come to Canada, and because he has a criminal conviction which would make him inadmissible to Canada, this person would need both a Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) and a Temporary Resident Permit.

Always keep in mind that even if you are admissible to Canada and have proper documentation such as a TRV or TRP, a border guard may still determine not to let you into Canada at his or her discretion.

Get Help Now


Ask Questions

Do you have questions? Please fill in the form.

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. is independently run and does not seek editorial input from IMMIgroup Inc. The views of the authors of content on do not reflect the views of the consultants employed by IMMIgroup Inc.

"All images on are CC licensed, public domain or the work of IMMIgroup employees. If you see your image on and it has not been CC licensed, please contact us immediately at so we can take it down."