CALL CENTER • Mon-Fri 8:00AM - 5:00PM EST
HEAD OFFICE • Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST

Founded 2004
Call us: 1•866•760•2623 Email Us: [email protected]

Toll free: 1•866•760•2623
Call Us: (416) 962-2623
Email Us: [email protected]
Call center: Mon-Fri 8:00AM - 5:00PM EST
Office: Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST

Replace your IMM1000 Record of Landing

also known as Verification of Status

If you immigrated to Canada, you need to show your Record of Landing to get your Old Age Pension.

Print Application


What is a Verification of Status Document?

When any person comes to Canada for the first time as an immigrant (known as "landing"), they are given a paper document as proof of their immediate status, known as a Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence depending on when the document was issued. The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) form number for this document is IMM1000 or IMM5292/IMM5688 respectively.

In the past this document could be replaced with an original or certified true copy if it was lost. However, as of August 27, 2012 Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada now issues what is known as a Verification of Status document. It has all of the same information, but takes much less time to be issued.

If you have lost your original or the certified true copy of your IMM1000, you may apply for a Verification of Status document as a replacement for proof of when you immigrated to Canada. If you do not have proof of when you arrived in Canada, you may be denied government benefits such as Old Age Pension, regardless of how long you have been a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

If you need proof of when you first entered Canada to live, work, or study, you can apply to obtain a Verification of Status document. Even people who were Canadian citizens at the time of entry, or people who never became permanent residents can obtain this document under most circumstances.



Getting your IMM1000 urgently

Cost and Processing Time for IMM1000 replacement

Who can get a replacement Record of Landing / IMM1000 / Verification of Status document?

Why do you need your Record of Landing IMM1000?

What documents do you need to get a Record of Landing?

Changing the information on your Record of Landing (Getting an Amendment)

Using your IMM1000 to enter Canada

Applying for the IMM1000 of someone who is deceased



Getting your IMM1000 urgently for your pension

In order to receive an old age pension from the government of Canada, you must have worked inside Canada for 10 years. To prove that you have met this requirement, you must provide a copy of your IMM1000 to Service Canada with your pension application if you were not born in Canada. If you have been advised by Service Canada that your pension application will not be processed until you provide a copy of this document, you can request urgent processing from IRCC.

To get urgent processing, you must include a copy of a letter from Service Canada advising that your application for a pension will be closed or rejected within a certain time-frame if the copy of your IMM1000 is not provided. If your proof of urgency is accepted, your Verification of Status should be issued within 4 - 8 weeks; the regular processing time for a replacement Record of Landing is six months.



Cost and Processing Time

Urgent Processing 4 - 8 weeks $450.37
Regular Processing 6 months $253.75


Who can get a replacement Record of Landing / IMM1000 / Verification of Status document?

Almost any person who has ever entered Canada can apply for a Verification of Status document. If you landed in Canada as a permanent resident, you can get the VOS to replace your Record of Landing IMM1000 document. Any of these people can apply for the replacement of their status document in Canada:

  • Current or former Permanent Residents of Canada
  • Canadian citizens born outside Canada who eventually entered Canada to live
  • Current or former Temporary Workers in Canada (work permit holders)
  • Current or former Temporary Students in Canada (study permit holders)
  • Current or former Visitors to Canada (visitor visa holders)

You can apply to replace your IMM1000 from within Canada, or from any other country in the world, even if you no longer live in Canada. Previously applications made from outside Canada needed to be sent to the nearest Canadian consulate. But now, all applications should be made to the IRCC Operations Support Centre in Ottawa.


Why do you need your Record of Landing IMM1000?

The most common reason people need their Record of Landing document is to give it to Service Canada to get Old Age Pension. You must demonstrate that you worked in Canada for a minimum of 10 years in order to apply for the Old Age Pension. This is why people born in Canada need to provide a VOS (or their IMM 1000 or COPR) with their Old Age Pension application.

The Record of Landing is also a supporting document needed for a PR card renewal or Grant of Canadian Citizenship application. If you do not have a PR card, you must have a copy of your COPR (or Record of Landing or a VOS) to apply for Canadian citizenship. Also, if you are applying for a PR card, the COPR (Record of Landing) is the only secondary ID document you can use for an applicant who is under 16 years old because they do not have a driver's license, university ID, or Notice of Assessment tax documents.

If you are returning to Canada from abroad through the land border crossing in the United States in a private vehicle, you can also present your COPR or Record of Landing to prove your permanent resident status in Canada if you do not have your PR card. This means you don't have to go to the Canadian embassy to get a travel document just to return to Canada.

Print Application


What documents do you need to get your Verification of Status?

To apply for a replacement of your IMM1000, you need copies of the following supporting documents:

  • Copy of the ID page of the passport you used at the time of landing in Canada OR
  • Copy of the ID page of your current passport AND
  • Copy of your birth certificate (with translation if the document is not in French or English) AND
  • Copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) AND
  • Copy of your Canadian citizenship certificate (if applicable) OR
  • Copy of your PR card (if applicable)

If you are missing one or two of these documents, IRCC will usually still process your application. However, the reason the documents are missing needs to be explained. You can also substitute other documents which are not on the list for your application to be processed.


Changing the information on your Record of Landing/COPR

Sometimes people's IMM1000 documents contain incorrect information such as a misspelled name or inaccurate date of birth. You can apply to change any information on the Record of Landing or COPR. However, it is at the discretion of IRCC whether to change the information on their records and issue what is called an Amendment to your IMM1000. IRCC officially states that they will only issue amendments in the event that information was recorded incorrectly due to a IRCC officer's mistake. However, we have had many cases where the mistake was on the part of the client, and the amendment was issued anyway. Visit our Amend your Record of Landing page or call us for more information


Using your COPR/IMM1000 to enter Canada

At this time, if you are a permanent resident of Canada, you may present your IMM1000 or COPR or Verification of Status document to the Canadian customs officer at LAND border entrances in the United States only. You must also be riding in a private vehicle and cannot be aboard any type of commercial vehicle such as a bus or train. You cannot use your IMM1000 to enter Canada by plane and must present your PR card.

If you are a Canadian citizen, you should present your Canadian passport or other passport and Canadian citizenship certificate to the border officer when you enter Canada.


Applying for a Verification of Status for someone who is deceased

Frequently people will apply for the IMM1000 of a parent or other family member who has died in order to obtain a passport or citizenship from another country from that parent. In order to get a replacement of the Record of Landing for someone who has passed away, you must be the executor of their estate with documentation to demonstrate this if the person has been deceased for fewer than 20 years. After a person has been deceased for 20 years, their Record of Landing becomes public record, and any person may apply for this document.


Ask Questions

Do you have questions? Please fill in the form.

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.